13.12.13

Video and Sound Week 6



Reading Response to Walter Murch's "In The Blink Of An Eye" 

Walter Murch writes of a film editing process that he has honed for many years. A process that is now, probably very intuitive, yet he communicates his insights well through anecdote, metaphor and observations about human perception (which by the way, deserve proper investigation and experimentation, if they have received already). For Murch, editing, beyond linear time keeping and rigid dialogue exchange, is about giving coherence. or making meaning for the audience via a trusting relationship that relies on appealing to their natural processes of dream and wakeful perception. As I understand it, he believes that when editing works it is because it mimics natural perceptual processes. For example, cuts assume the role of blinking and blinking, underscores the rhythm of thought. 

I have had my first experience with editing video and sound in this class, and wish I had read this article before embarking on my final project (entirely my fault for putting it off until the rough cut was assembled). I will carry Murch's insights with me and proceed edit with a great deal more reverence for the process. I had thought of it as largely intuitive, but also rote. Ignoring the possibilities guided by the principles of perceptual psychology. 

Questions:


One thing that struck me as odd (but also deserving investigation and experimentation) is the idea that an audience blinking in unison could indicate that a film is working. Does this not ignore individual differences in association of perceptions? And what of film that betrays the senses and jilts us from natural perception?




Dragnet (I am a fan now) and rigid dialogue exchange